Listeria alert: Hershey, Atkins and Kashi hit by extended SunOpta recall
Businesses including The Hershey Company, Kellogg’s-owned Kashi, retailer Publix and low-carb diet program Atkins Nutritionals have in recent days issued recall notices for products containing sunflower seeds supplied by SunOpta
Canadian business SunOpta had previously recalled sunflower kernel products produced between February 1, 2016 and April 21, 2016 over fears they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. This prompted the recall of dozens of products containing the potentially contaminated seeds
And the number of recalls has soared in the past six days since SunOpta extended the recall back a further eight months to cover certain sunflower kernel products produced between May 31, 2015 and January 31, 2016.
As reported by the site, last week’s announcement prompted recalls by businesses including Clif, General Mills and PepsiCo. And the number has continued to grow this week.
SunOpta said it has reviewed its manufacturing processes and identified and eliminated the root causes of the contamination.
The latest and updated product recalls include:
The Hershey Company
Hershey has issued a voluntary recall of three products sold under the SoFit brand - one sunflower seed item as well as an almond and a pumpkin seed item produced on the same manufacturing equipment.
The recalled products are:
- SoFit Protein Plus Sunflower Seeds Sea Salt with date codes: 72H, 72J, 79P, 82F, 82G, 82K, 82L
- SoFit Protein Plus Pumpkin Seeds Sesame Garlic with date codes: 73B, 73C, 81P, 81R
- SoFit Protein Plus Almonds Jalapeno Garlic with date codes: 72R, 73A, 79R, 82C, 82D
No other Hershey products or products sold under the Sofit brand are affected.
Kellogg’s-owned Kashi Company is expanding its previously announced voluntary recall to include two varieties of Kashi brand snack bars – including one product in Canada – and two Bear Naked granola varieties.
Kashi retail products
Kashi club products
Kashi foodservice products
Kashi Canada retail products
Brown & Haley
Brown & Haley, of Tacoma, Washington, is expanding its voluntary recall to include one additional lot of Mountain Thins Trail Mix flavor that was distributed to select retail stores nationwide between March 4, 2016 and April 25, 2016.
No other types, varieties or flavors of Brown & Haley or Mountain products are impacted by this recall.
Publix Super Markets
The retailer received notification of the potential contamination from the sunflower seed supplier, Flagstone Foods, which was affected by an expanded recall of SunOpta.
Publix has recalled all date lots of containers of prepackaged nut, seed and raisin mix sold at Publix retail produce departments in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee and North Carolina with a UPC of 000-41415-08886, 002-25143-00000, 004-00002-10396.
"As part of our commitment to food safety, potentially impacted product has been removed from all store shelves,” said Maria Brous, Publix media and community relations director. "To date, there have been no reported cases of illness.”
The low-carb diet program is issuing a voluntary recall of limited lot codes of certain bar products. These contain or may have come in contact with equipment that processed product containing sunflower seeds distributed by SunOpta that have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Atkins Nutritionals (scroll to see full list)
Hickory Harvest Foods
Hickory Harvest Foods has expanded its recall with a range of products in addition to those recalled on May 4, 2016 and May 20, 2016.
The additional products were packaged at, or distributed from Hickory Harvest between the dates of June 22,2015 and May 31,2016. Shipments were to the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, lA, 10, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, Ml, MO, MS, MT, NC, NO, NE, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SO, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, and WY.
Hickory Harvest Foods (scroll to see full list)
Windy Acres Candy & Nut Company
Acting under the advice of its supplier, SunOpta, Windy Acres Candy & Nut Company has recalled Windy Acres No Salt Sunflower Seeds, Windy Acres Fruity Trail Mix & Jungle Jim’s Roast No Salt Sunflower Seeds.
The products were distributed from Windy Acres between the dates of February 23, 2016 and May 24, 2016 and shipped to the following states: IN, KY and OH.
First Source of Tonawanda, NY, has expanded its recall of products containing sunflower kernels after receiving notification from SunOpta.
The following recalled items were distributed between June 4 2015 and May 31 2016 in the following states via retail stores: IN, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV and SC.
- 15 LBS Alpine Valley Fitness Mix with distribution dates between 06/4/15-5/31/16
- 15 LBS Alpine Valley Yogurt Fruit/Nut Mix with distribution dates between 06/4/15-5/31/16
- 15 LBS Alpine Valley Sunshine Cranberry Delight with distribution dates between 06/4/15-5/31/16
- 15 LBS Alpine Valley Oriental Delight with distribution dates between 06/4/15-5/31/16
- Alpine Valley Oriental Snack Mix 4oz with Best By dates between 02/04/16-01/31/17
- Alpine Valley Yogurt Trail Mix 4oz with Best By dates between 02/04/16-01/31/17
- Alpine Tub Roasted & Salted Sunflower Kernels 10.25oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Alpine Tub Roasted & Unsalted Sunflower Kernels 10.25oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Earth Fare Roasted & Salted Sunflower Kernels 16oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Earth Fare Roasted and Unsalted Sunflower Kernels 16oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Flave Beach Retreat Trail Mix 18.5oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Flave Fitness Mix 8oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Flave Hiker’s Haven Trail Mix 21.5 oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Flave Tropical Trail Mix 8oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Flave Oriental Delight Mix 6oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Flave Sunflower Seeds 7.5oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
- Gonzo 2 Go Sunshine Cranberry Delight 4.5oz with Lot Codes 14152171, 14153551, 14152441 14160402 &
- Gonzo 2 Go Fitness Mix 5oz with Lot Codes 14152171, 14152441, 14153561, 14160292, 14160641, & 14160991
- Foodhold USA Tub Cranberry Almond Trail Mix with Best By dates between 03/04/16-02/28/17
- SSP Fitness Mix Tub 10oz with Lot Codes 14152401 & 14152751
- Stewarts Sunshine Cranberry Delite 5oz with Best By dates between 03/04/16-02/28/17
- Tops square tub Roasted & Unsalted Sunflower Kernels 10.25oz with Best By dates between 06/04/16-05/31/17
Retailer Hy-Vee Inc, based in West Des Moines, Iowa, is voluntarily recalling trail mix products and one of its salad toppings across its eight-state region due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
The recalled products are:
- Hy-Vee Garden Style Salad Topping — sold in 6.75 oz. containers with the UPC number 7545004755 and with the following lot codes: 232A5B; 238A5B; 239A5C; 279A5C; 327A5B; 327A5C; 041A6C; 042A6B; and 111A6B.
- Hy-Vee Trail Mix Bars — sold in 12-pack boxes with the UPC number 7545008401 and with “best by” dates between April 23, 2016, and Oct. 30, 2016
- Hy-Vee Peanut Almond Dark Chocolate Protein Bars — sold in 8-pack boxes with the UPC number 7545010885 and with “best by” dates between April 2, 2016, and Nov. 21, 2016
- Hy-Vee Caramel Cashew Honey Crunch Trail Mix — sold in 24 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450040586 and with “best by” dates between July 10, 2016, and April 22, 2017
- Hy-Vee Dark Chocolate Cranberry Trail Mix — sold in 24 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450041354 and with “best by” dates between Aug. 5, 2016, and March 14, 2017
- Hy-Vee Dark Chocolate Cranberry Trail Mix — sold in 8 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450041378 and with “best by” dates between Oct. 4, 2016, and April 11, 2017
- Hy-Vee Raisin and Nut Trail Mix — sold in 9 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450040746 and with “best by” dates between Aug. 10, 2016, and March 14, 2017
- Hy-Vee Raisin and Nut Trail Mix — sold in 26 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450016802 and with “best by” dates between April 26, 2016, and March 18, 2017
- Hy-Vee Santa Fe Trail Mix — sold in 26 oz. bags with the UPC number 75450016826 and with a “best by” date of Feb. 16, 2017