Popular right now: Our top five confectionery and chocolate stories on social media
1. Ferrero celebrates opening of second Nutella Cafe in New York
News of the new Union Square Café in NYC spread (pun intended!) like wildfire across social media, following Nutella’s launch of its first café in Chicago last year. No surprises that the Nutella Café serves up a menu of hazelnut spread-centric dishes for its legion of followers.
2. Guest article: Cocoa market still ‘unethical, unfair’ despite 10 years of sustainability in the industry
Independent analyst Laurent Pipitone’s article asking the question why the cocoa market still ‘unethical, unfair’ despite 10 years of sustainability in the industry, provoked a huge response and reaction across the industry.
3. Goupie: ‘It is not palm oil which is the problem, but how it is produced’
The palm oil controversy has been in the news recently with the latest declaration from RSPO. Goupie chewy chocolate manufacturer has also spoken out about palm oil, it told confectionerynews.com, following a number of calls from customers asking if it uses palm oil.
4. Bahia notebook: Why is rubber so important to the growing of cocoa in Brazil? – Video
Our third video in the exclusive series from Brazil’s cocoa growing region in Bahia, proved very popular on social media. This edition features scientists from Brazil’s cocoa research centre on its work in creating a more sustainable enviornment through bio-diversity and agro-forestry in the region.
5. Montezuma’s Chocolate sells majority stake to investment firm
News that one of the UK’s premium chocolate brands had secured significant investment from a Scottish private equity firm with the founding couple stepping back from day-to-day running of their company created a flurry of interest on Twitter.