Ferrara expecting best-ever Christmas with launch of new products and seasonal classics
Ferrara, the leading producer in candy canes, has launched ‘Fun Dip & Cherry Candy Canes’ – a multisensorial product in which consumers can dip their Brach’s Cherry canes into two different flavors of Fun Dip pouches.
It is the first time that Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip - a nostalgic candy from the 1940s - has launched an offering in the candy cane set, and each box comes with six Brach’s Cherry Canes and four Fun Dip pouches in Cherry and Razz Apple flavors.
“We think consumers will get a thrill out of this new way of dipping and eating candy canes”, Peter Goldman, Ferrara’s senior director of Brach’s & Seasonal Confections, told ConfectioneryNews.
Ferrara has also created new products and packaging for stocking fillers. According to the company, candy is the number two item used to fill stockings (number one is gift cards), especially for kids’ stockings.
Stocking fillers are the largest candy segment with 59% of the share, according to Buzzback Christmas Deep Dive Exploratory.
Many consumers use candy canes for decorating their tree or in candy dishes, so having unique colors, shapes and sizes is a must for consumers
One of Ferrara’s new stocking fillers this season is the Big Chewy NERDS Characters complete with festive Santa Hats.
“We know that parents are going to love putting these festive characters into their kids’ stockings”, Goldman said. According to him the main purchasers of these holiday products are Millennial and Gen X parents looking to buy candy for their families to share. “But we also know that parents get stockings too. These are parents looking to continue the traditions they had with their own families growing up.”
Coming off three record-breaking holidays in a row, Ferrara anticipates the winter holiday season will exceed last year’s sales based on its forecast.
Ferrara’s number one selling candy cane is a classic: Brach’s Bob’s Peppermint Candy Canes. According to the producer the traditional 12-count Peppermint Candy Canes sold over $16m in 2018. For the fruit and sour flavors, SweeTARTS Candy Canes featuring bright shades of pinks and blues have been the number one branded premium cane for 9+ years with over $6m in sales in 2018.
“For non-candy cane products that are best-selling, Bob’s Sweet Stripes Peppermint Puffs is number one, selling non chocolate dish candy followed closely by Brach’s Peppermint Nougats, which are handmade to deliver their decorative design”, Goldman said.
Goldman also revealed that this season the trend is towards sour and fruit candy cane flavors.
“Ferrara’s sour cane sales are up 11% from a year ago. Of our sour canes, SweeTARTS Candy Canes are the best seller and we continue to see growth in Trolli Sour Brite canes. Fruit Candy Cane sales are up 3% from a year ago. Of our fruit canes, Fun Dip & Cherry Candy Canes are the latest to launch this season”, he said.
Many consumers use candy canes for decorating their tree or in candy dishes, so having unique colors, shapes and sizes is a must for consumers, Goldman said.
Another growth areas is candy and gingerbread kits allowing consumers to build their gingerbread houses with some of their favorite candies. While Ferrara hasn’t launched a full kit, it is testing a Brach’s DIY decorating kit at Walmart this year. “We provide consumers with six different items they can use to decorate their gingerbread houses, use for baking, or just put in their candy dishes”, Goldman said.
Multisensorial products are Ferrara’s top trend. In 2019 the producer pushed the envelope with combining different tastes, textures and colors. For example, the new innovation, Trolli Crunchy Crawlers, won the Best in Show Most Innovative Product Award at the Sweets & Snacks Expo in Chicago in May.
“The product just started shipping this week and we are excited to see it hit shelves soon. We expect to launch additional multisensorial products this year such as Laffy Taffy Laff Bites and Now & Later Morphs. Consumers have come to expect that Ferrara takes our classic brands and builds on beloved products by adding modern spins that surprise and delight consumers”, Goldman said.
Ferrara's new and best-selling candy for winter 2019
BRACH’S-Bob’s Peppermint Candy Canes
- Description: Treat yourself to BRACH’S Bob’s Peppermint Candy Canes made with real peppermint oil. The perfect size for snacking, baking or decorating during the holiday season. Try dropping a peppermint cane into a cup of creamy cocoa!
- SRP: $1.99
- Sizes: Available in 12 ct, 20 ct and 40 ct sizes
- Case count: 24 or 48
SweeTARTS Candy Canes
- Description: Bright, fruit-flavored candy canes featuring an assortment of three tangy SweeTarts flavors including Green Apple, Cherry and Blue Punch.
- SRP: $2.19
- Sizes: 5.28oz
- Case count: 24
NEW! Fun Dip & Cherry Candy Canes
- Description: Dip n’ Lick a Cherrylicious Candy Cane into a Cherry Yum Diddly Dip or Razz Apple Fun Dip Pouch! Features 6 BRACH’S Cherry Canes and 4 Fun Dip pouches (2 Cherry and 2 Razz Apple flavors).
- SRP: $2.99
- Size: 4.4oz
- Case count: 12
Bob’s Sweet Stripes Peppermint Puffs
- Description: The original melt-in-your-mouth mint made with all-natural, triple distilled peppermint oil.
- SRP: $2.69 and $6.29
- Size: 10oz and 19.3oz
- Case count: 12
BRACH’S Peppermint Christmas Nougats
- Description: Quality, handmade nougats feature a bright green Christmas tree design surrounded by crimson-red stripes. Real peppermint oil adds authenticity to every sweet, chewy bite. Each piece is individually wrapped for freshness. The perfect treat to share with friends and family.
- SRP: $2.99
- Size: 11oz
- Case count: 24
NEW! Big Chewy NERDS Characters
- Description: For the perfect stocking stuffer gift, NERDS is launching red and green NERDS characters with festive Santa Hats! Each Plastic NERD character contains a 3oz pouch of Big Chewy Nerds, a chewy center covered in a crunchy NERDS candy shell, with flavors including:
- Orange You Nerdy?
- Left-Click Lemon
- Strawber2y Squared
- Giga Grape
- SRP: $3.69
- Size: 3oz
- Case count: 6
Holiday NERDS Rope
- Description: A soft gummy rope covered with tiny, tangy, crunchy NERDS candy in seasonal colors, this rope will make the perfect addition to a Christmas gift basket.
- SRP: $1.00
- Size: .92oz
- Case count: 72
Frosty NERDS Holiday Theater Box
- Description: Tiny, tangy, crunchy candy in Watermelon, Wild Cherry, and Punch flavors and packaged in a holiday-themed theater box. It’s perfect for gift giving and stocking stuffers!
- SRP: $1.29
- Size: 5oz
- Case count: 12