Nestlé UK is recalling some of its Milkybar Buttons due to a possible rubber contamination risk, but the company said the action is just a precautionary measure.
The confectionery manufacturer said that only a small batch of the product was affected. It added that “it has reviewed its manufacturing processes and resolved the issue.”
“The company took the decision because of the possible pieces in the product but no incident has been reported,” Raymond Ellard, director of audits and complaints at the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) told ConfectioneryNews.com.
“The product is aimed at children. When you are dealing with children you can’t afford to take the chance,” he added.
In a statement, Nestlé said that any consumers who have purchased Milkybar Buttons with the best before dates it has listed are advised not to eat the product and recommends that the product is disposed of.
The company said a very small number of the packs could contain pieces of rubber.
There is no food safety risk and that there is no cause for concern if these products have already been consumed, said Nestlé.
“The quality and safety of our products is a non-negotiable priority for our company. Consequently, as a precautionary measure, we have decided to recall all products above,” said the confectioner.
Products being recalled are Milkybar Buttons bags carrying best before dates between October, November and December 2011 and
Nestlé’s treatsize bags with a best before date of August and September 2011. Victoria Foods has also recalled its Jane Asher Creations Milkybar: My First Baking Mix with a best before end dates of October 2011 or November 2011 as the product includes Milkybar Buttons.
Choking risks for children
Food or small objects can cause choking when they get caught in the throat and block the airway, preventing oxygen from getting to the lungs and the brain.
Top food choking hazards are candy and gum, according to US watchdog ConsumerReports. That group claims foods of all shapes and textures, including fruits and vegetables, present hazards.
Every child is at risk for choking, says the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It claims that younger children are particularly at risk because of their tendency to place objects in their mouths, poor chewing ability, and narrow airways compared with those of older children and adults.
The UK’s Child Accident Prevention Trust claims that each year around 25,000 under-14s have to go to the accident and emergency department of UK hospitals after choking on something or swallowing things that they should not have.