Downs made the announcement in his closing speech at the NCA’s State of the Industry Conference on Tuesday in Florida, following concerns about the Expo’s status after news reached organizers that the Natural Products Expo West trade show in Anaheim, California, which was due to start today (Tuesday 3 March), had been pulled because of the coronavirus outbreak.
The COVID-19 coronavirus is continuing to spread worldwide and has now reached North America.
New Hope Network, organizers of the Natural Products Expo West, said the growing number of cancellations made it clear that the event was becoming untenable, and it made the decision late afternoon Monday to postpone "with the intention to announce, by mid-April, a new date."
The NCA’s State of the Industry Conference attracted over 650 attendees to Boca Raton and experienced only a handful of cancellations, said a spokesperson.
“We are closely monitoring the ever-evolving issue and its impact on the United States,” said Downs. “There are a lot of dominos falling involving other conferences and shows, happening in real-time, and we will be working with the US government to provide you with information that relates to Sweets Snacks Expo.
“Our team and strategic partners will also be working closely together, along with the city of Chicago. We have a steady hand on the wheel and are prepared for all eventualities.”