Designed to empower researchers, policymakers, and industry professionals, the free-to-access platform brings cutting-edge food science to the forefront, making it accessible and discoverable by consolidating valuable research in one centralized and user-friendly location, said IFIS Publishing a not-for-profit publisher and educational charity.
The launch comes at a critical time for the food system, which is facing myriad challenges as innovators work to transition toward sustainable methods of production and consumption.
“The most pressing sustainability challenge for the F&B industry is for companies and organizations to establish, and continually update, the evidence base for the most sustainable ingredients, processes, and products," said Professor Colin Dennis, chairman of IFIS Publishing and the Leadership Development Committee at IFT.
With over 10,000 meticulously vetted records, its dynamic A&I database is updated weekly, providing users with a dynamic and comprehensive overview of the last 6 months' worth of scientific literature and insights carefully curated and indexed by an expert team of food and data scientists to exclude ‘junk science’ and ‘predatory content’, allowing decision-makers to base their strategies on trustworthy information.
IFIS Sustainability said the ambition is to promote a holistic understanding of sustainable food practices, and takes a multidisciplinary approach, allowing users to explore diverse perspectives, from economics and food policy to ecology and agriculture.
Cindy Steward (PhD), Global Innovation and R&D Executive and a former IFT President, said: “It is absolutely critical that F&B innovators have access to the latest, trustworthy science to learn from and build on the work of others and bring people together in collaborative efforts. The solutions require multi-disciplinary approaches. It’s great to have a focused database for scientists and others to easily access sound science. IFIS Sustainability is easy to navigate and pulls up topics of interest.”
Key research themes include:
IFIS Sustainability allows food sector stakeholders to stay at the forefront of food sustainability and explore top research themes from ground-breaking innovations to emerging challenges. Keyword analysis of the 10,000+ articles contained in IFIS Sustainability paints a vivid picture of current innovation trends in the food industry. These themes include:
- The economics of sustainability: Practical approaches acknowledging the need for solutions in the broader context of the food market.
- Technological Advancements: Leveraging technology for more efficient and sustainable practices in food processing, packaging, and other areas.
- Policy-Driven Sustainability: Emphasizing the importance of regulatory frameworks in achieving sustainability goals.
- Ecological Concerns: Understanding and mitigating the environmental impact of food production.
- Consumer-Centric Approaches: Exploring how consumer behavior can be influenced to support sustainable choices.
- Innovations in Agriculture: Promoting sustainable farming practices and ensuring food security.
- Plant-Based Solutions: Exploring the environmental benefits of plant-based diets and sustainable plant-based products.
Dennis added: “It is essential that innovators have access to the latest trustworthy science and technology to avoid wasting resources on re-inventing what is already known. IFIS Sustainability provides access to a professionally curated and highly searchable database of trustworthy science and technology and is an excellent resource for such a purpose.”